The point where lower and upper legs meet is a joint called knee. Knee acts as a god gifted hinge which governs the free movement of legs helping us to sit, walk and jump. Knee pain is another common problem of people of all age’s group. Any sudden injuries, mechanical degradation problems, overuse injury; some underlying disease condition and arthritis may lead to problem of knee pain.
The depth seekers may want a little insight into the structural anatomy of knee. It consists of three bones with Latin names Femur, Tibia and Patella. Femur is thigh bone/upper leg bone; Tibia is shin bone/bone at front of lower leg; Patella is thick triangular bone that sits atop of other companion bones. A layer of cartilage covers the ends of bone and two crescent shaped connective tissue pads are found between Tibia and femur to minimize friction and to disperse the weight of body across the joint.
Discover Common Causes Of Knee Pain
Pain and swelling are the two most important initial indicators of mild to severe knee pain. More commonly muscle strains, vigorous exercise schedules, serious injuries to ligaments and cartilage in sports, tendinitis (Inflammation of a tendon) cause knee pain. A little detail info to the causes is as listed below:
- Knee Ligament Injuries: Sprains and tears to the knee ligament are very common in athletes.
- Knee Cartilage Injuries: Meniscus tear is the term used for Knee cartilage tear. Menisci are cartilaginous shock absorbers at end of bones. Meniscal cartilage injuries are common in Sports like Rugby, football and Skiing.
- Arthritis: It is inflammation of the joint accompanied by swelling, pain and redness affecting a single or multiple joint. More than 100 types of arthritis have come to the field in the era of modern world.
(for details refer – www.healthline.com )
Knee Pain Exercises
Exercise helps in Knee pain relief. Some genial knee pain exercises are:
- Calf Stretch
- Quadriceps set
- Strait leg raise
- Hamstring stretch
- Side leg raises
- Hamstring curls
- Wall squats
- Step ups
- Leg presses
(For details –refer website – www.csp.org.uk)
Ayurveda And Knee Pain
Sudden knee pain, Knee pain after running, pain in knee cap should not be ignored as a little disturbance may lead to the life of leg tussle. Knee care is the responsibility of individual in any age group to take proper precaution and not ignoring even the slightest symptoms like swelling and redness whether accompanied by pain or not. Joints problem is of two types according to Ayurvedic perspective. These are
- Under-Nourished Joints / Low Bone Density: A discomfort like situation develops initially resulting into locking and difficult movement of joints. Soon degeneration starts accompanied by accumulation of toxins (ama). One experiences stiffness of knee joint giving rise to edema and pain.
- Vata Related Joint Problem: Vyana Vata a characteristic of Vata is responsible for nerve impulses and circulation. Its increase is responsible for joint problems. Bone tissue degeneration starts when due to poor circulation and slow metabolism, the working bone tissue does not get balanced nutrition and starts dying with time.
Natural Herbs For Knee Pain
Herbs helps in a natural way in giving relief from knee pain . The following herbs and their extracts are- Aloevera, Boswellia, Cat’s Claw, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Willow bark, Turmeric, Gandapura, Gandapura oil, Guggul Shuddh, Kunduru, Rasna, Sunth, Methi, Shilajit shudh, Vishwamushti, Camphor oil, Peppermint oil, turpentine oil, Nirgundi oil, Clove oil, Tulsi oil, Malkangini oil, Ajwain oil etc.
A herbal combination in the form of Dr Ortho products including Dr Ortho Oil, Dr Ortho Capsules, Dr Ortho spray and Dr Ortho ointment are 100% Ayurvedic made of herbs including Gandapura, Gandapura oil, Guggul, Shilajit shudh etc. can be taken supplemented with healthy diet, exercise and balanced lifestyle.