What is considered a processed food?.Well many people consider processed foods to be microwave ready foods . Though microwave ready foods also come under the category of processed foods, there are many other food items which come under the category of processed foods. The word `processed food’ implies to the food stuff that has been modified in one way or the other. Modification of food or processing of food is done to increase the shelf life of food items so as to prevent the decay of food stuff.
Processing of food involves modifying basic food ingredients so as to provide variants of tastier food products to people. There are various food processing techniques like baking, canning, freezing etc. Every kind of food processing technique uses different permitted flavors, preservatives, colors and texturants.
Why Food Processing is not always bad?
Food processing is done for making food items safe too. You must be knowing about pasteurization of milk. It is a process done in raw milk before it is made available to us. What is Pasteurization? Pasteurization is heating of milk at high temperature for some seconds so as to remove infectious agents. So milk which is processed by pasteurization is good for our health.
Home food lovers – Do you love cooking?
Many people will answer this question in ambiguous way. The answer may be `Yes we love cooking but we find it difficult to take out time out of busy schedule ‘.Well, we all are so hooked up to our busy lives and taking time out really gets tough. Most of the times we are confused in choosing between foods we want to eat. In a world of abundance of artificial ingredients, one cannot be sure if particular food stuff is pure or is fortified. So try cooking some food because the best thing about cooking food is that you are aware of the ingredients you are using. Weekend motivation – Let us work in our home kitchen!!!
I am not here to advocate that processed foods are not healthy. I am just here to make you catch a brief glimpse at pros and cons of consuming processed foods.
It just depends on how much your food stuff is processed –that you will surely know by reading out the microscopic ingredient list on the food label. Eating processed foods in excess may not be that beneficial for your overall health.
5 ways in which processed foods are harming people
- Processed foods in majority of cases are loaded with high quantities of sugar. And such exorbitant amount of sugar intake is definitely not good for your overall health. `Specially-Diabetic patients be aware!!!!’
- Most of the processed foods are low in nutrients and they are filled with synthetic nutrients. Synthetic nutrients are definitely not the good replacement for natural nutrients which are found in unprocessed natural foods. `Ending up in low nutrients will eventually result in low immunity’.
- Processed foods have low levels of fiber. And we know fiber is good for our digestive health. `So don’t complain of constipation problem if you know the reason that is Excessive Consumption of Processed foods’
- Processed foods have unhealthy fats. These unhealthy fats are rich in omega 6 fatty acids. `And omega 6 fatty acids can cause inflammatory reactions in body- Your joints may hurt due to this’.
- Eating processed foods out of moderation can land you up in getting addicted to these foods. `And that is why people find it difficult to leave the habit of eating processed foods once they have started eating them’.
A quick look at common processed foods!!!!
Let us grab a quick look at common processed foods we are eating in our daily routine. These are as follows-
- Tinned vegetables
- Breakfast cereals
- Soft drinks
- Microwave meals
- Canned foods
Are processed foods considered healthy or non healthy?
What you think?. Well I think today’s lifestyle is crazily busy and processed foods is an easy option. An easy option food seems a good choice. It is not a good food choice but there is more to it. A processed food just seems to be too perfect and tempting to our senses. Its okay to include some processed foods in your healthy diet provided you know how many calories or additives it is carrying. Go according to your body type and how many calories you need. A last tip- Try to eat more real foods like fresh fruits/vegetables. Have a healthy eating!! Have a healthy life.
Click here- To know about Junk foods!!!