Red eyes occur when the tiny blood vessel on the eye surface get swelled. In other words, it is a condition in which the white surface of the eye becomes pinkish or reddened. Rectifying various symptoms of bloodshot eye with eye drops for red eye can be helpful.
Redness in eyes can be observed in one eye or in both eyes. Red eyes can be observed because of wearing contact lenses for a longer time, allergies or common eye infections such as conjunctivitis. This can also happen when a foreign object or substance has fallen into your eye.
However, redness of the eye sometimes can be a signal of more serious eye condition or disease, like glaucoma. Eye redness is usually temporary and clears up quickly with and without medical assistance. So, if you or someone around you have a bloodshot or red-eye and are searching for what should you do? Or what can you do at home, and when should you see a doctor?
This article is all about causes, symptoms and natural remedies to get rid of a red eye!
What Are the Common Causes of Redness In Eye?
Many of us experience red eyes or bloodshot or pink eye because of cold, foreign objects in eyes or allergies, etc. The best thing we can do is to find what’s causing the red-eye, and try avoid it for future.
The redness in the eye can be a result of many factors like:
- Heavy drinking
- Dry eyes
- Broken blood vessel
- Wearing contact lenses for a long time.
- Hey fever
- Lifestyle factors, etc.
What are the symptoms of Bloodshot Eye?
Generally, most of the people do not find any symptoms while having redness in eyes. Eye redness often gets less concern unless you feel eye pain or vision problems. If it is because of the above causes, you may find the underlying symptoms.
- Gritty feeling
- Heavy eyelids
- Occasionally blur vision
- Sensitivity to the light
- Scratchy feeling
- White, yellow discharge from the eye.
Home Remedies to Treat Red Eye
Some symptoms of Red Eye do not require any medical assistance and can be rectified with some of the easy home remedies. We are sharing some of them. Just have a look!
- You can give a warm compress to your eyes if the pain is accompanying the redness.
- Give your eyes cold compress to reduce itching and burning sensations.
- Use over the counter anti-allergic eye drop.
- Avoid the irritants that cause redness in eyes like smoke, pollens, dust, etc.
- Wash your hands properly before touching eyes and wearing lenses.
- Do not wear lenses more than they are recommended.
- Remove eye makeup properly.
- If your eye becomes contaminated, wash your eyes with eyewash or freshwater.
When to see the Doctor?
When you do not get any relief from red eye. Taking the advice of doctor becomes priority. So, ask your doctor for help when:
- Your symptoms for red-eye persists for longer than 1 week
- If you experience changes in your vision while having redness in the eye
- There is a pain in your eye along with redness
- Your eyes become sensitive to light.
In some cases, the symptoms of red-eye can be cured using home treatments and ayurvedic eye relief drops like Eye Mantra and do not require any major medical treatment. Giving hot and cold compression, saving eyes from irritants, etc. may provide suitable results in many cases. If still, the symptoms persist along with pain and irritation, it is advisable to consult doctor.
If you find this post useful and if you know who could benefit from this, do not hesitate to share it. Also, do let us know about the queries and suggestions for the same in the comment box.
Keep yourself updated with our new posts, till then stay happy, stay positive, stay healthy.