What is Flatulence?
Flatulence meaning having Gas, Farting, Passing Wind. In medical terms flatulence means releasing Gas from the Digestive System through Anus.
There are various meaning of flatulence in Hindi, Tamil, and various other languages but whatever are you call it might not seem to matter, being able to identify where gas starts – and where it ends, Causes & Treatment of Flatulence – can help you treat embarrassing or Painful Symptoms.
What is Chronic Flatulence?
Excessive Gas can be described by Belching, Burping, Bloating, & Flatulence. Belching or Burping simply means the Gas that escapes from the mouth, Bloating is a sensation of excessive stomach gas which is not yet released whereas flatulence or farting is excessive gas released from rectum. Flatulence may be acute or chronic depending on the extent of interference to the blood supply of the muscular coats and the rapidity with which it takes place.
Chronic Flatulence is when associated with the disease of fifth or sixth decade of life like Angina pectoris etc. it is most distressing symptom troubling sleep and discomfort during every waking moment. Here the distress of flatulence becomes so urgent that it seems to be the chief symptom to be treated. Chronic Flatulence accompanies painful gas and the embarrassment of chronic & foul smelling flatulence.
Causes of Flatulence
There are mainly two ways by which the gas gets collected.
- As you Digest Food, Digestive Gas like methane, carbon di oxide and hydrogen gets collected
- Swallowing Air while you drink or eat can cause Nitrogen and Oxygen to get collected in the Digestive tract.
Flatulence can be due to any of the both reason and is very common. As per National Digestive Disease Information, most people produce one to four pints of gas in a day, which they pass 12-14 times a day. I case you pass gas more frequently than this on routine basis, then it is chronic flatulence, which can be due to numerous reasons.
Here are the Causes of flatulence:
1- Swallowing Air
Swallowing air throughout the day is natural, while drinking and eating. If you swallow more air, you might experience excessive flatulence and burping. Reasons behind swallowing more air can be Smoking, Chewing Gum, Drinking Carbonated Drinks, Eating Quickly and Sucking Objects Like Pens Tops.
2- Dietary Reasons
Flatulence can also be due to the dietary choices you are making. Here is the list of the foods that increase gas leading to flatulence:
- Foods rich in Sorbitol or fructose like Fruit Juices.
These food time more time to Digest, causing unpleasant smell associated to flatulence. Certain foods are not fully absorbed so without being completely digested they pass from intestine to colon. As colon contains large amount of bacteria which break down the food and releases gas. This gas so build is known as Flatulence.
Excessive Flatulence – Causes & Complications
Excessive flatulence is as more as 20 times a day. Potential conditions behind flatulence range like
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Food Intolerances
- Eating Disorder
- Dumping Syndrome
- Gastro- Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Peptic Ulcers
- Crohn’s Disease etc.
Flatulence- Treatment & Home Remedies
Home Remedies for Flatulence Treatment:
Depending upon the cause of problem, Flatulence treatment varies. Tips for treatment of Flatulence at Home:
- Monitor your Diet:Check your diet. In case your diet contain difficult to digest carbohydrates, just replace them. Go got the ones which are easy to digest like rice, banana, potatoes etc.
- Maintain a Food Diary: This will help you to keep food responsible for flatulence at bay.
- Go for Small Meals: Prefer 5-6 short meals for better digestion than three large meals.
- Stay Active – Exercise: Exercise helps to enhance the process of digestion and preventing flatulence.
- Chew Properly: Avoid chewing gum or smoking and all that which increases the amount of air you swallow.
- Flatulence related to Constipation: When you find that flatulence is related to constipation choose Ayurveda for treatment. Pet Saffa, natural laxative granules & Tablets are blend of time tested herbs which help in getting relief from constipation.
Chronic Flatulence Symptoms – Visit Doctor
You should see your doctor if you see the following symptoms:
- Swollen Abdomen
- Severe & Persistent Gas
- Abdominal Pain
- Heart Burn
- Unintentional Weight Loss
- Blood in Stool
Your Physician will suggest you the test you must go for identification of the underlying cause Flatulence.
Flatulence- Causes & Treatment? If you have any info or query please add in comments.