Performing yoga on regular basis gives you fabulous health benefits. Yoga is a blend of mental, spiritual and physical practices which help to strengthen the union between the body, mind, and soul.
Nowadays, there’s a growing awareness worldwide about the benefits of yoga. You can easily find out professional yoga classes just about everywhere.
People are learning that yoga keeps them fit and in good health. It helps you to move, sweat and burn calories, as well as increase the rate of your metabolism.
What is metabolism?
It is the process through which your body converts the food you eat into energy. If your metabolic rate is fast, you’ll feel more energetic and active. Along with this, your body will look younger and you’ll start feeling younger too.
Benefits of Yoga :
- Helps to increase your activity level
- Improves digestion
- Boosts the circulation of blood
- Creates lean muscle mass
All of these factors together are helpful in increasing the metabolic rate of the body. In this article, I’m sharing with you some of the top metabolism boosting yoga poses.
Tree Pose (Vriksasana) :
It is a powerful standing balance pose that boosts metabolism as well as immunity. The tree pose helps you use all the muscles in your legs, involves your core and promotes calmness and self-control. It helps you achieve focus, concentration, and coordination.
How to Get into this Pose?
- Stand in an erect manner with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Make sure that your spine and neck are straight and chin in.
- Then, in a slow manner place your right foot high up on your left thigh.
- Try to keep your left leg straight and balance yourself on one leg.
- Inhale a deep breath and raise your arms above your head.
- Try to maintain this pose for 10 to 20 seconds.
- Exhale and bring down your hands down and release your right leg.
- Repeat the same with the other leg.
Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana) :
This yoga pose helps to stimulate the digestive organs and thyroid gland. This, in turn, improves the digestion and regulates the metabolism.
How to do it?
- To get into this posture, first, lie down on your back and bend your knees.
- Place your feet flat on the ground hip-width apart and keep your arms by your sides, with your palms down.
- Inhale a deep breath and raise your hips off the floor, pressing your feet firmly on the floor.
- Then, in a slow way, raise your upper body along with your hips, shifting your weight to your shoulders.
- Stay in this position for 30 to 60 seconds and take deep breaths.
- Exhale and return to your starting position.
Boat Pose (Navasana) :
Boat pose is another effective yoga pose for boosting the metabolism. This pose helps to strengthen the core and the strong contraction of the muscles of the stomach helps to improve the digestion. This thereby boosts the metabolic rate of the body.
How to Get into this Pose?
- Sit on a mat with your knees bent, feet on the floor, hands by your hips and fingers pointing towards your feet.
- Take a deep breath, press on your palms, stretch your spine and pull yourself back while being on your hips.
- Take deep breaths and lift your feet off the floor.
- Then, extend your arms in front, parallel to the floor.
- Stay in this position for a few seconds and straighten your legs to form a ‘V’ shape.
- Hold it for 2 to 4 breaths and exhale out.
Bow Pose (Dhanurasana) :
The bow pose is helpful in boosting your metabolism and energy. In this posture, the abdominal organs take the weight of the body and get a gentle massage, which promotes the flow of blood to the organs.
How to do this?
- Start by lying on your stomach with your chin on the floor, feet hip-width apart and your arms by your sides.
- Take a deep breath, bend your knees and try to grasp your ankles with your hands.
- Then, raise your chest in a slow way and pull your legs up and back.
- Keep your head facing straight ahead, hold the pose and take deep breaths for 15-20 seconds.
- Exhale while you lower your ankles and chest back to the floor.
Locust Pose (Salabasana) :
In this yoga posture, all your body weight is focused on the stomach region. It helps to improve the digestion. A healthy digestive system boosts the immunity.
How to do it?
- Lie on your stomach with toes pointing toward the back.
- Keep your arms beside your body and palms upward.
- Breathe in and raise your head, chest, feet, and hands up from the ground.
- Stay in this position for about 1 minute and then release with an exhalation.
So, these are some of the best yoga poses for boosting the metabolism. Practice yoga on regular basis to stay fit and active!
Stay Healthy Stay Happy!
Liked reading this article, then hit the like button and share with others. To share your views with us, just leave a comment below!